Wednesday 1 August 2007

Zero to seventeen



I was born on 28th October 1957 at Dumfries Royal Infirmary, the fourth child of a family of six. My father was a farmer at Rainton Farm in Galloway and we were brought up in, what some might consider to be, idyllic conditions. Everybody had to help on the farm but there was plenty of time for play with many children whose parents lived on the farm. Relatives lived close by so we saw a lot of cousins, aunts and uncles and grandparents.

I went to Gatehouse Primary school and enjoyed my years there, but one memory includes being belted for swinging on the desks! We travelled the five miles by bus.
After 1st year at the attached secondary school I went to Kirkcudbright Academy which was ten miles away. I remember the miner's strike in 1972/1973 when I was studying for O grades and we only went to school for three days a week because of problems heating and lighting the school. This seemed like great idea and we got through the work just the same, as the teachers set it for homework. (A suggestion for modern education?) At night we would have candles and lamps if the electricity was not on. I seem to recall that the electricity was off on a rota basis in different districts.

Kirkcudbright Academy was a comprehensive school and served a large rural area, many pupils travelling by bus. Memories include lots of hockey matches and school choir. We performed Gilbert and Sullivan operas and were invited to sing at St Giles Cathedral in Edinburgh, definitely a highlight.

Ponies were a big part of our lives and we started by wintering ponies from a holiday farm where the ponies were used for trekking. Later we had our own ponies and went to pony club and shows, mum being a great support with all the driving and back-up. Living on a farm made the finances easier as vets bills, blacksmith bills and all the rest make it an expensive hobby.

Socially, living in a rural area had problems and you had to rely on lifts to buses to get to the cinema or parties or stay with friends. Nothing has changed there! I joined the Young Farmer's Club and this had a great social aspect to it as well as events ranging from stock-judging to debating competitions.

Early family holidays were spent in a 'hut' at the local beach, Sandgreen. We would go with our cousins so there were ten children altogether and the two mums. The dads, both farmers would join us for meals as they would be working. We certainly had unlimited hours playing on the beach and many good memories. Fantastic holidays. As we grew older we had various touring holidays in Scotland and France, widening our horizons.

I think that the upbringing I had could not be beaten, and having the secure but fun environment made me thirst for adventures further afield.

2 comments:

Robin said...

Hello Ruth – I’m Robin Smith, cousin of Gill and Sue’ Hartburn.
I was looking for old pictures of Sandgreen on Google and came across a thumbnail of a small girl on a beach. The caption was ‘Ruth 50 blog --- etc. and there was something very familiar about it – the face, the swimsuit? So I clicked and sure enough it was Ruth of Rainton.
You know I could swear that I was standing beside you when that photo was taken.
I’ll bet that it was Hot Chocolate in the mug!
And yes it’s so true, we all had a fantastic childhood down there.
Although I went to school in Glasgow, every holiday from age ‘0’ was spent on the farm.
There were horses and hay, binders and bales, fun and laughter and kids everywhere.
We worked like slaves when we were able and enjoyed every minute of it!
My aunt Christine frequently took all us kids to Sandgreen or Carrick. My roots are in that sand and my ghost will haunt the place when I’m gone.
You probably don’t remember me as I am almost precisely nine years older than you but I fondly remember all of you. I wish I had lived on the farm all year round instead of Glasgow. I still feel that my true home is Kirkcudbright.
I still remember one occasion when I tucked your youngest sister (E. I think) into bed in that hut on the shore.
You’re older sister R. was one of my favorite lass’s of all time.
The smiths had a home made caravan on the shore which was affectionately called
‘The Henhouse’. It was made of corrugated iron but it served its purpose. On these glorious days down there, it fed us hungry kids Tomato soup, Sandwiches and Creamola Foam! It was also home to Beach balls, Fishing lines, Kites, buckets, spades and all the other essentials of beach life.
My dad, aunt and uncle were all keen photographers and thus I have a great collection of photos of the family on the farm and on the beach.
At twenty three I married a bonnie wee French lassie. We’ve got two boys.
I’ve done a lot of different jobs but for the last 19 years I’ve been a primary teacher.
I’m still at Wallace Hall Primary in Thornhill.
What’s the best thing about teaching? –kids of course!
At the moment I teach every child in the school, all 170 from P1 to P7.
I do the RICCT and so see every class, every kid, plus P7 for one day and P6 for two days.
It’s great to be dad, nurse, psychologist and best of all - a friend.
You must be a good teacher with your background and experiences. It’s not what you learn at Uni. that counts. Teaching is an art – a whole personality thing.
That down to earth, honest, robust and close to nature childhood that you had on the farm and in the country just can’t be beaten. Your experiences overseas are bound to have added an extra dimension too.
Well I don’t even know if this comment will ever reach you Ruth (and it’s five months out of date) but I’ve really enjoyed writing it. I love to talk.
I was down at Sandgreen a while back. The rocks, the sand and the views are still the same but there was a hollow emptiness to the place. There were no friends, no cousins, no children laughing, skipping over the sand, racing into the sea, or hopping over the rocks. What used to be just a sandy grassy field above the beach with a few old caravans parked is now a muckle static caravan park. (That’s progress for you – yuch!)
I was alone.
Yet someone has put a granite seat on the far side of the first rocks at the end of the beach and on it are engraved the words ‘THE BEST PLACE IN THE WORLD’. Too true.
I Wish you and your family all the best --- and maybe one day----



Pam. Mum. Gill. Sue. Aunt Christine. Me. Remember the diving board?


Sorry I had a couple of pictures but I can't seem to add them. Robin

Ruth Crawford said...

Hello Robin
It's nice to know that someone has read my blog. For some reason I was interested in finding out who would read these things. I got involved in the Radio 4 Today50 event through VSO but never made it to fame on the radio. Polly Billington suggested I 'pop' into my nearest BBC radio station for interview (they think everyone lives in London or a city) but as it is 30 miles away in Aberdeen I never quite got it together.
Great to hear of times at Sandgreen. I can't remember you, but I still hear occasional news about Susan and Gillian.
I agree with you that Sandgreen has changed and I still want that hut back!
Funny that someone can Google Sandgreen and find a memory.
Well, I had better go now because I have a horrible pile of school stuff to attack so that I can go on holiday with less baggage - the mental sort!
Best wishes
Ruth

Tell me if you read this.